Do you ever wonder what is meant by some terms that are used when shopping for a slipcover
Here are some of the answers to your questions.
Re-upholster vs. Slipcover
- New upholstery requires some one with special skills to remove and replace the upholstery. It is permanent and cannot be removed to wash. As a rule it is very expensive and under certain circumstances cost as much a new furniture. A slipcover if it is custom or ready-made can be easily removed to clean and then replaced.
- A custom slipcover is one made for 1 specific piece of furniture. The customer chooses the fabric that is used. A person who makes slipcovers takes measurements and makes the slipcover to perfectly fit that piece of furniture. This type of slipcover is usually more expensive than a ready made cover.
- A ready-made slipcover is made to a set of specification to fit most average furniture. It is available for various styles and sizes of furniture. A sizing chart is usually supplied by the manufacturer to help in deciding the size needed. Ready-made slipcovers are less expensive than custom made and give a wide range of options. They may not fit a perfectly as a custom made slipcover.
Loose or casual fit
- A loose or casual fit is generally a one-piece slipcover. The arms of the cover fit over the arms of the furniture. This type of slipcover has some type of skirt. It might be ruffled or straight. Excess fabric is tucked into and around the backs and arms. It covers the whole piece of furniture including the back. Occasionally a loose fit cover may have separate set cushion covers.
Form Fit Slipcover
- A form fit cover is made of some type of stretchable fabric. The fabric is usually a blend like polyester and spandex. On many furniture pieces there are separated covers for the cushions. It may be one cushion cover for several cushions or individual cushion covers. The cover clings snuggly to the existing furniture and gives a more custom look. Some form fit slipcovers can look like the furniture was re-upholstered not just a slipcover.
- A customer is often asked is the furniture a T-cushion or a box cushion. A T-cushion is found on each end of the furniture if there are multiple cushions. A wing chair has just one cushion but is a T-cushion most of the time. A T-cushion is laid on the floor has an extension that goes in front of the arm like the letter T.
- A box cushion is a cushion that is rectangular in shape thus its name box cushion. More furniture has box cushions than T-cushions.
- Slipcover grips or tucking grips are a polymer piece in an unique shape that is pushed down between the cushion and the back of the slipcover or side next to the arm. The grip is placed after the slipcover is placed on the furniture and smoothed of wrinkles. The grips will keep the slipcover in place and prevents constant re-adjusting. When using the grips, the furniture will look more custom and not so much a slipcover. They are recommended mostly for one-piece slipcovers. The form fit slipcovers don't need them as much with the exception of the wing chair and the recliner.
- A furniture throw is one piece of fabric large enough to cover whatever size piece of furniture you want to cover. It is just tucked in around the back and sides to cover the furniture. It does not fit in any way.
- A pet cover is similar to a throw with a few major differences. It is a thick quilted cover with arm extensions to cove the arms. It does not fit around the arms; it just lays over the arm protecting it from dirt from your pet. A pet cover is easy to remove and wash and is designed to protect your furniture from pets, kids, and the elderly who might spill or have accidents. There are different sizes for each furniture piece.
Patio Furniture Covers
- Outdoor furniture covers are not slipcovers. They are not designed to be used while the furniture is in use. They are designed to cover and protect outdoor patio furniture while it is not in use. Patio furniture covers come in different sizes and colors.
Slipcovers and Leather Furniture
- Slipcovers on leather or leather-like furniture can be a trick. One of the best things is to purchase some scatter rug padding at your local box store. Place the scatter rug padding on the leather first (usually just the seats) then place the slipcover. The rubber texture will keep the slipcover from sliding around just like it keeps a rug from slipping on the floor. If you are choosing a pet cover rather than a slipcover, choose one that has slip resistant "paw" pads on the backing.
Wing Back Chair
- A wing back chair is a chair with a high back and "wings" on each side of the back at the top. Most wing chairs have a T-cushion seat. A slipcover for a wing back chair is one-piece and can come with or without a skirt.
Slipcover for Skirted Furniture
- If your have furniture with a skirt and need a slipcover you have a couple of options. If you don't intend to ever use the furniture with the original upholstery again, you can take a sharp razor knife and cut the existing skirt off and get it out of the way. If you don't want to destroy the original upholstery, you should get a slipcover with a similar loose skirt. If you want form fit, you can carefully bring the elastic back around the bottom of the slipcover down and trap the skirt in it and hide it. This is a little difficult but it can be done.
Life of a Slipcover
- A slipcover's life is determined by the use, how well it is made, and the quality of the fabric. Most slipcovers will last for many years. The average consumer gets tired of a slipcover because of changing styles before it wears out.
Waterproof vs. Water-resistant
- Waterproof fabric is treated in such a way that water cannot penetrate it for example plastic sheeting or tent material. Water-resistant fabric is treated in such a way that water beads up on it and water will not penetrate if wipe up in a short period of time. Pet covers will often say waterproof or water-resistant.
- Denier is a tern you often hear in regard to fabric strength. A fabric manufacturer will measure the strength of one thread to determine its strength. Also the number in front of the word "Denier" indicates not only the strength but the type of yarn. For instance, in outdoor patio furniture covers you might see that it is 600 denier this means it is a polyester fabric. Another example would be 1000 denier would be for a nylon fabric. The reference point for this measurement is one single strand of silk. Thus the higher the number the less opaque and the more strength.
This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solution on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content.For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with social network in various ways. For these to work, the social networks may set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site, or contribute to other purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.